To achieve objective of Dr.Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Library. In socio economic development of Marathwada region and to supplement formal education with reading material, its library known as Dr.Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Library, was established to undertake the responsibility of providing reading by organizing and storing for its maximum use by its readers. Dr.Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Library is the biggest University from the point of view of the strengh of books and its services. It has occupied a central position in the socio-economic, cultural and educational development of the people of Marathwada region.
The importance of this Library lies not only in its large collection of 3,26,450 books and its periodicals, but its collection has certain peculiar feature. The priceless treasure of large number of manuscripts, covering a wide range of subjects i.e. Literature, social science, Philosophy, arts, photographs and painting, which gives it a place of pride.
Historical Development of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Library :
Marathwada region is mainly an agricultural area, In spite of its rich cultural heritage, its grate spiritual and literary traditions and its valuable historical association, it is backward in comparison with other parts of the state of Marathwada.
Basically Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Library functions differ from those of Universities situated in Urban and metropolitan area like Bombay, Poona, and Delhi. In big cities there are many educational institutions, which may equal the university towards which the education scholars and the research workers depend upon for the reading material. There are no special libraries in the Marathwada region, which will be able to cater the services in adequate manner.
Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Library in the absence of other large library has to fulfill the requirement of the scholars of Marathwada region as a whole.
Even through the university was established on August 23, 1958. along with its library, the functioning if the University Library started with the appointment of its first Librarian Shri N.A.Gore, a Sanskrit scholar and ideologist in December 1958.
The University grants commission and the Government of Marathwada played vital roles in the growth and development of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Library. Im May 1966Library shifted to its new building on University campus. U.G.C. sanctioned the scheme of opening study center in the city in the year 1970.From the year 1978 the study center was transferred to the library. Afterwards the University library had to close down the study center in the year 1988 due to technical difficulties. During the sixth plan period the UGC recommended the creation of the documentation section for the library and sanctioned two posts of professional assistants for the documentation work. Those post were duly filled in the year 1980.
In the year 1971 the library introduced reprographic service with the PAN-PRINT Advani over the LIN CON Xerox machine.However, PAN-PRINT machine was not a direct copier and it was time consuming, hence in the year 1985 library purchased Canon plain paper copier at the cost Rs. 1,17,831/- In the yaer 4-9-1999 library purchased lanier copier In the year 1-4-2005 library purchased canon copier. Asper recommendations of the K.S.Deshpande ( committee 1977 ), the library could get inter-com during the year 1990. This has made possible effective communication within the library. A sum of Rs. 42,361,082/- spent on inter-com system.
Among the various donors, who presented the following deserve special mention.
- Govt. Publications through ist various Ministries.
- University Grant Commission ( Sacred books of the East Series )
- World University Service.
- Shri. S.R. Dongerkery
- Shri. N.A. Gore
- Asia Foundation, New Delhi.
- Government of Maharashtra, New Delhi.
- Government of Maharashtra, Bombay
- Sahitya Academy New Delhi.
- United state Information Services Bomboy.
- Dr. N.R . Tawade.
- Shri V.K.N. Menon, Trivendraum ( through Shri. J.M. Kanitkar, The Librarian and Reference officers, Indian Institute of Public Administration New Delhi. )
- Shri. Digamberrao Dharmadhikari, Ahmednagar ( In Memory of his son the last Shri Vishnu Digamberrao Dharmadhikari )
Location Of Library: Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Library building is situated within the University Campus known as Sonehri Mahal, Building by a Rajput Raja Orchamaharaj Paharsing of Bundelkand. A few furlongs from here to the South-East by Bibika Maqbara. On the North-west side lie the ancient rock temple of Aurangabad called Aurangabad Caves. Again very “ Ananadasaram “ of the renowned Bundelkand Saint-Poet “ Nipat-Niranjan “ in the beautiful sylvan surrounding of Sihyachal ranges.
In this ancient and historic setting, rises the magnificent modern structure of the University Library Building. Amongst the special feature of the Library Building is the entrance gate, which replace of the great famous Ajanta Arch, Which always remains of affiliated of Marathwada with the great historical past.The Foundatin stone of the Library building was laid on 16th October 1960 by the then Chief minister of Maharashtra Shri Yeshwant Raoji Chavan and it was inaugurated at the hands of Dr. Sarvapalli Radhkrishnan on the 25th March 1966.
Shri M.K.Jadhav and his successor Shri. Jaywant, the architect to Government of Maharashtra have designed the building. The construction work of the building was carried out by M/s Dixit and Apte, Engineer and contractors, on behalf of the public works Department of the state and supervised first by Shri M.K.Khan, the Executive Engineer and later by Shri Kudhadkar.
The interior of the Library building, with its pliant structural orientation and its modulations of space and light adds grandeur to the building Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Library is that of a Scorpion. The Building has a total plant area of 41.781 sq.ft. And consist of three stories basement, ground floor and first floor with mezzanine floor. The ground floor is occupied by the Librarian Room, Deputy Librarian Room, Ordering Section, Technical Section, Reprographic Room, Library Office, Clock Room at Control Counter for entrance and Exit the first floor consists of Library Committee Hall. The near portion of the ground floor is separated by a narrow passage with steps leading to the rear portion of the ground floor in the rear portion at the beginning. These is a hall of 20 x 20 in which issuing counter is located and there is a book lift connecting the basement and the first floor on two sides of the book lift there are two large halls one wing occupies the Stock Room and other Reference Section, where Library Catalogue is located office of the Circulation Section is located in the Stock Room.
Beneath there is a basement connecting of another stack room and area beneath reference section occupies binding, rare books thesis collection. The first floor of the rare wing of the Library building is on the same level of the first floor of the front wing of the library building and is occupied by Periodical Section where current issues of Periodical are displayed, bound volumes and old issues of Periodicals are stored. There is a mezzanine floor in the periodical section, where old issued of new arrival beautiful books on topical subject showcase and stands has been provided. The building has fifty-six cubicles for the use of Professor, Research Scholars and other Senior Students. These are distributed the mezzanine and the second floor. A proposal for extension of the library building was made in year 1976. The extension of Library Building was carried out in the year 1976. The cost of Construction is Rs. 6,00,000/-. The University Grants Commission and the state Government have made the grant available to the University for this extension of the building, and in the first phase a hall of 4500 sq.ft. has been constructed. At present provision has been made for the reading hall of the library, which accommodates 240 students at a time.
Collection of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Library:
The real treasure of the important books covering different subject, such as social science, history, religion, philosophy and fine arts was purchased in 1959. Library has collected over 1537 books by way of donat’ns. Mention may particularly be made of Shri D.B.Kamat, lady Masans, Shri E.A.j. Wadia, and Shri J.R. Billimoria, Kumari Army B. Rustomjee, Shri A.N. Mahata, Dr. M.V. Sidhye and Shri S. R. Dongerkery, Vice Chancellor who have donated valuable books to the Library. Shri D.N. Marshall, librarian of University of Bombay, who has been mainly responsible for searching handsome donations of valuable books to the library from some of the donors mentioned above.
It is proposal to start postgraduate teaching in some of the subjects in faculties of Arts and Science from the academic year 1959-1960 and with that end in view, the University has purchased over 2000 books, which covers the subjects of Marathi, English, Literature, Economic, Commerce, Banking, History and Politics and also reference books such a dictionaries and sets of Encyclopedias and back numbers of the Chemical Society London.
The University has so far spent Rs. 15,021,092 on the purchase of books. Shri N.A. Gore who had been working as librarian in the Asiatic Society Bombay was appointed to the post of librarian. He joined his duties on December 7th , 1959. Shri V.B.Laturkar who had been working in the Nagpur University, was appointed to the post of assistant librarian, and joined on December 1st ,1959.
The collection of books in the University library amounted to 4,005 at the academic year 1959-60 . Special grant received from the Government of Bombay, in securing the personal library of raja Shomraj Bahadur, Hyderabad Deccan, Containing a large number of valuable books on a variety of subjects together with the teakwood shelves in which they were stacked.
The whole of collection, which included well over 40,000 books, was purchased for Rs. 1,60,000/- with the addition of these, and books from private individuals donated and purchases made by the university, the total number of books in the University towards the end of March 1960 amounted to more than 48,000.
It was the Private Collection of Raja Shamraj Bahadur a great lover of books; he was a Jagirdar at the court of Nizam. He belongs to Marathwada region and had his jagir located at the Village Takli in Aurangabad District. His collection of books consist of 43,999 booked some of books acquired from Raja Shamraj Bahadur are worth their weight in gold, as some of the books were not at all available elsewhere, being out of print.
The collection includes some rare books published in India as early as 1638,1665 and 1681.
Special features of Collection of Library:
It would be no exaggeration to say that some of the books acquired from Raja Shamraj Bahadur are worth their weight in gold. The collection includes:-
· Rare books published in India as early as 1638,1665 and 1681.
· A number of illustrated deluxe edition such as those of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, numbering more than hundred.
· About 380 volumes consisting of texts, commentaries, translations and critical studies on the Bhagavad-Gita.
· Many bound volumes of back nos. of the studio 1894-1938 and punch ( 1841-1968 )
· Authoritative works connected with art such as the paintings in the Buddhist cave – Temples of Ajanta John Griffiths in two volumes. ( 1896 )
· History of Persian art in five volumes.
· 25 volumes of the History of the world.
· 26 volumes of the Imperial Gazetteer of India.
· Several Volumes of the annual reports and monographs of the archaeological survey of India, reference books and books on philosophy, religion, literature, philology, history, biography, travel and social science.
· It has also and odd assortment of books on the naming of persons, the shoeing of horses and other uncommon subjects in which curious readers may be interested.
· The library also possess the original works written by Lokmanya Tilak in his own hand writing and book written by John Miltion.
· The library has more than two thousand manuscript in the history and Marathi departments of this manuscripts five hundred are on Bhagvad Gita and 110 on Rubbiyat of Omar Khayyam.
· The remarkable growth of the library collection is represented by its present collection crossing 3 lakh volumes of reading materials.
· At this juncture, it may be worthwile mentioning the Dr. BAMUL is the rich and biggest library catering to the information needs of the academic community of Marathwada region.
The collection also consists of number of dictionaries, encyclopedia and rare books, which no longer were available in the market. Besides there are collected works of Robert browning ( 17 volumes ), Samuel butler ( 40 volumes ), Alexander Pope ( 22 Volumes ) Walter Scott ( 100 volumes ).
The total collection has been systematically developed covering all branches of knowledge, The reading materials are acquired by way of exchanges, gifts and purchase through U.G.C. grant and University Funds.The Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Library is the unique feature of educational status of the region. The Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Library in the absence of any other larger Library has to fulfill the requirements of the scholars of the Marathwada regions as whole. Now Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Library is the only library in the entire region, which the education, research workers and scholars depend upon for their reading material. There are no other special libraries in the Marathwada region. It is the only library in the region having 3,35,000 books and Periodical by the end of November 2007. During the year 1959-60 there were only two Departments Viz. Dept. of Marathi & Dept. of Economics and there were only eight teachers. The total number of post graduate student were only 80 with in a short period of six years from 1960-1966 the Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Library established ten post graduate department five in humanities and Social science and five in the natural sciences and mathematics, from the year 1959-1965, The University spent Rs. 1,21,810/- which was 8.56 percent of the total budget of the University, then in 1969 University established five Departments, Dept. of History and Ancient Indian Culture, Department Political Science Department of Botany, Department of Mathematics and a Department of Physics and also instituted post of reader and two lecturers in each of the first two Departments one Professor, one Reader and two lecturers in each of the first two Departments one Professor, one reader and two lecturers in each of the Departments of Botany and Mathematics and the Post a Professor in Department of Physics.
During the last 47 year the total number of Department has reaches to 32. the total numbers of teachers are 250 and total numbers of post-graduate for during the year 2004-2005 were…. Now during the last 47 year Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Library made spectacular progress. The total collection has been systematically developed covering all branches of Knowledge. Also Library Possesses theses and dissertations submitted to the various Departments of the university. Today Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Library can be placed along with better-known libraries in Maharashtra. Its total Collection of books & Periodicals 3,35,000 by the end of November 2007 .In order to modernize the working of the library and cope with the growing demands of the variety of services library is on it way to automation and the work of database is in progress.
Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Library working hours are as under :
Week days - 10.20 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.
Issue Counter -10.30 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
Sundays and other holidays -11.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
During examination period Reading Hall is kept open from 8.00 a.m. to 12.00 p.m.
Following Persons Will Be Permitted to Make Use of the Library.
· Members of the university authorities and bodies.
· The university teaching staff.
· Contributory teachers of the university.
· Other teachers in the affiliated colleges and recognizer institutions, if any, with recommendation from their head of the institution.
· Students who have enrolled their names in the university for post-graduate courses.
· Students of diploma and certificate courses run by the university.
· Casual readers, other persons admitted with special permission of the librarian i.e Associate members.